Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !

Go down 
+3
|-HoS-|-Alexander
{Grailknights}Dion
Imperator_Boru
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! Empty
PostSubject: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Guys you must read this short piece on Belisarius....he is perhaps the greatest general of all times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius
Back to top Go down
{Grailknights}Dion
{Grailknights}Dion

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 am

I have long been an admirer of Belisarius, what he did was astonishing considering how limited his supplies where due to the suspicion of Justinian, luckily however Belisarius wife was friendly with Justinian's. This meant that Belisarius was able to expand the Empire to its greatest ever frontiers. He deserves much more praise than history gives him and I struggle to think of many Generals bette. Truly a legendary if underated General.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grailknights.net
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 5:37 pm

{Grailknights}Dion wrote:
I have long been an admirer of Belisarius, what he did was astonishing considering how limited his supplies where due to the suspicion of Justinian, luckily however Belisarius wife was friendly with Justinian's. This meant that Belisarius was able to expand the Empire to its greatest ever frontiers. He deserves much more praise than history gives him and I struggle to think of many Generals bette. Truly a legendary if underated General.

hmmm, I can think of 2......... lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Better ? Im not sure there is one Suspect who has youre vote Alex Very Happy
Back to top Go down
-Crusader- Wolfsclaw
-Crusader- Wolfsclaw

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 pm

I do Alexander the Great. But let us not forget that we have our own thoughs on who is the best.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

Male Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am

Tzimisces could match him though. Thats a fact. But Belisarius is one of the greatest byzantine generals if not THE greatest. Tzimisces is one as well.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 am

well...my vote has to go to Alexander the Great (thats obvious if you knew me before the Crusaders), and going to my Italian roots, I vote for Julius Caesar. Those are my two best generals.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 8:22 am

I dont think haveing the strongest army is the same as being the greatest general.Sure they swept across the countries with there masive forces dominateing there opponets with superior military units.Belisarius did not have that luxury.Im talking about a general that would be undersupplied and outnumbered against powerful armies and he would win, thats why he is the best of the best.If belisarius had the powerful legions of Ceaser or Alexanders super phalanx army I think he would have done better with them.
Back to top Go down
-Crusader- Wolfsclaw
-Crusader- Wolfsclaw

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 am

I chose Alexander Because he was smart with his troops not because it was strong. Lets not forget Alexander was out numbered too you know.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Swagger

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 10:48 am

Yes i agree alexander was out numbered but he had the better army,its like playing rtw who would win if say i had 10 hoplites and you had 20 eastern infantry......The hoplites would win.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Well, having a super phalanx doesnt really come in to effect when you are outflanked by a mile on EACH side like Alexander was at Gaugamela. The soldiers where also human and have morale just like every Persian. Alexander also only lost about roughly 22 men in his first fight against the Persian, but yes, its was a super force. I will give you that.
Back to top Go down
{Grailknights}Dion
{Grailknights}Dion

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 5:46 pm

A super force that had been hardened together in many battles under his father Philip...it was Philips army more than Alexander's however he was a good leader men and not afraid to throw himself into combat. Belisarius on the other hand basically had to start from scratch every campaign.

Other great Byzantine generals are John Commenus and Heraclius.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Wrong, Alexander left a large portion of his Phillip II's army in Macedonia while he campaigned in Asia, and secondly, the army had been hardened under his command while he fought the tribes in the North.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

Male Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Correction: Comnenus not Commenus Wink
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm

-Crusaders-Konstantine|KT wrote:
Correction: Comnenus not Commenus Wink

lol! lol! lol! Konst, you would correct that..... Very Happy

We all knew who you where talking about.....
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 8:37 pm

Well its good to see we all have our favorites, makes for some entresting convos.

a toast to Belisarius and Alexander, 2 great generals of there times. king
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Indeed, and btw, how do I get my screen shots off of X-fire, I fixed it, and got my other comp up and running. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
{Grailknights}Dion
{Grailknights}Dion

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:43 am

I am currently reading a book called the Afghan Campiagn by Stephen Pressfield (Gates of Fire) it seems good and follows a mounted infantryman in Alexanders army when fighting the Afghans it is a very good read you should pick it up if you can.

I have yet to find a good historical ficition book on any Byzantines however for non-ficition John Julius Norwhich is the best there is. I would love to see a book on the English Varangians after 1066.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 am

yes, the afghan campaign, I have read it, and in fact I think it is an excellent book, also, if you want another good Steven Pressfield book, try The Virtues of War, its another good book.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Celtic
Senate
Imperator_Celtic

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2006-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 4:15 pm

i would but i dont know how to read or write.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Celtic
Senate
Imperator_Celtic

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2006-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 pm

i happen to have a vote for best general.
talking bout out numbered get a look at these numbers!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bannockburn
much weaker suplies to boot.

Last edited by -Crusaders-Celtic on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 pm

aye, that truely is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !   Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times ! Empty

Back to top Go down

Belisarius: Perhaps the greatest general of all times !
Page 1 of 1