Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic

Go down 
+6
|-HoS-|-Alexander
-Crusaders-Shogun|PM
Imperator_Swagger
Imperator_Boru
Foehammer
RageParabola
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RageParabola
RageParabola

Male Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-01-04

"Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic Empty
PostSubject: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 pm

STRANGLEHOLD | Integration of Pikemen, Heavy Cavalry, and Heavy/Light Infantry Units

It's a little tactic from the past that has worked successfully, which Shogun and I tried against players in 2v2's, but allow me to make some graphic images in the next day or two and I'll post the full picture.

Alright, so here's the jist of what I am trying to stress for this to work, it seems complicated, but it's very simple and extremely effective. (It's been torture tested enough to satisfy my query threshold, so here goes:

I'm never spending an hour on Paint making visuals again, it's a headache. Hope this helps you see what I am saying: (Sorry for the poor quality of Image 2, it got messed up during uploading and I'm too lazy to correct it)
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: Stranglehold vs Kobe and Lone   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 am

Arcani Kobe and LoneSoldier vs Stranglehold:

"Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic 19082v2xo6
Back to top Go down
Foehammer

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-07-29

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 7:25 am

looks very good. me, Voll, and Trisp played around with a 3v3 tactic much like that. adding to it i think a couple units of light cav from scots to help the pikes keep from getting overwhelmed to quickly is very effective. The border horse make it very hard to flank
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 8:44 am

The stranglehold is very effective...we tried a game with me and a noob trying to defend it, I was able to warn the nooblet about what was going to happen and everything happened so fast that he was unable to help me.The only way to effectively counter it
in my opinion is a double rush....while the one guy with pikes send
his cavs in that would be the time to charge his cav by going through youre partners front corner...dont try to get all the way around the pikes as it might be to late and the strangle hold will have mass routed target 1 by then.

cheers briliant strategy Arcturus
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Swagger

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 9:07 am

Fantastic strat i look forwrd to putting into action with some of you on the field.
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: How Arcani Played   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 1:58 pm

The tactic may not show many kills from the battle results, but if you look at what we each had remaining you can see that we stripped Arcani of everything they had (which was alot more men).

What confirmed that this tactic is elite is that Arcani essentially did the exact same 'Stranglehold' tactic we were using on them, at the start of the battle Gurpreet and Kobe switched positions and formed a 'forkover' triangle and Kobe (who had 5 Dismounted Christian Guard, 5 Sudanese Tribesmen, 4 Urban Militia and 4 Light Cavalry [heavily upgraded] placed all his infantry in very thick formations and put his men on defend, but for all their cunning I put 1 sword, 1 shield, and 1 experience point on all 4 of my Dismounted Polish Knights, and it was fantastic to see 4 infantry units chew up and process 9 units of heavy infantry within 1.5 minutes, with the help of Shogun's mass cavalry rush-pullback-rerush method(s). We cycled around Kobe, who at this point was absolutely annihilated between my Polish Knight's work and my 5 units of Woodsmen were being routed and hammered by Gurpreet's cavalry which had at this point cycled around Shogun and was working up the backbone of our formation. Too bad Shogun had also wasted Gurpreet's infantry and had time enough to run behind his pikemen and re-form for the win.

It was a pleasure to play with you, Shogun. All in all, I had no time to see anything that was going on, Shogun and I were micromanaging and clicking like maniacs, and I had to constantly highlight units to see who was who, as the dead units on the field made everything more confusing.

I may have the most kills, but Shogun's work was the most vital and the spotlight of the battle.

Battle Rating: 9/10
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: Some more ideas   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 pm

I have a few more tactics I'm testing in Single Player, which I may decide to bring to the drawing table to see what we can do with it.
Back to top Go down
-Crusaders-Shogun|PM

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 pm

GREAT EXPLANATION. I WOULD STRESS "WALKING THRU" YOUR OPPONENT. THE REAL POWER IN THIS STRATAGY IS ROUTING THEM BEFORE THEY EVEN FIGHT. WHICH IS EASY TO IMAGINE WHEN THIER FACED W/ 2 ARMIES WORTH OF HEAVY CAV ALL AT ONCE. LETS NOT OVER PLAY IT THOUGH, EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK THIS LOOKS LIKE A STRATAGY THEY HAVE USED BEFORE, BUT THEY REALLY DONT GET IT, AND WE DONT WANT EM TO CATCH ON. alien
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: Some more support   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm

AlexanderTheGreat messaged me this, and I wanted to share it with all of you as it provides very important questions:

"I was reviewing the general layout of the "Stranglehold" technique and was not sure if you want to know what they are, but here they are.

Firstly, if the enemy brings Trebuchets, and fires cows, it may turn into a nasty situation for the Crusaders and allies.

Secondly, if the enemy not in the strangle hold has any common sense at all, he will face up with the pikemen, and send any of his cavalry around the pikemen to rout them almost entirely.

Thirdly, the army that is in the strangle hold need only last long enough for his ally to come around the Crusader's army and encompass the armies.

Once this has happened, the enemy will send his heavy infantry into the flanks and rears of your infantry shaking their morale, and will send his cavalry into the rear resulting in a complete rout.

Finally, you will be left with your general who will have killed many of the army in the hold, but will be no match for an army that is still intact.

Remember, this is all in theory, and would have to be decided in an instance that this is what to do. If the opposing allies hesitate, it is over, but if not our allies will be routed quickly. This is assuming that the enemy is what could be considered a Military Genius on MTW II, but it is highly unlikely to find any that could withstand the onslaught of the Military Minds of the Crusaders. I thought that some input might be a good think from an enemies position, and from a fellow Crusaders stand point.

Remember, this is all in theory and happens in an instance.

Alexander"

RESPONSE: This tactic withholds against each of the conditions you just stated, I've torture tested all of them along with many more to ensure the stability of this tactic. I can bend the rules and avoid the use of artillery by imposing a "no artillery, no elephant" rule when stating the game rules, if the enemy is smart enough to directly engage the stranglehold, the pikemen will fall; but the pikemen are solely present to bide time for us to eliminate the ally being doubled, and thirdly whenever the enemy sends cavalry around the pikemen they will not be very successful in routing them as we will have infantry lining the backside of the pikemen. Trust me, it's foolproof.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Swagger

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 2:04 pm

The tatic is a gd one but no tatic is foolproof.
Back to top Go down
Foehammer

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-07-29

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

thats y it's always good to change tatics as much as possible. me and shogun used the "stranglehold" against a BRO team last night. the first battle we beat them soundly. then they asked for a rematch. the second game we changed to a defensive stradigy which caught them completely off gaurd
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Indeed, no tactic is foolproof, this is evident throughout all of history from the Persian Empire to Greece to the Roman Empire. But it is an excellent tactic.
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: True   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Nice, glad it beat BRO. I've been playing 1v1's with Aggony and Arcani all day, won 7 so far, lost 1.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

Male Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyFri Jan 11, 2008 12:34 am

guys the thing is, you are showing it with the enemy not moving. If that happens, and you do as you show it, if i was the guy on the left. I would put 4 weak units in loose formation on your pike while at the same time moving 4 cav to my allies flank and 4 cav to the pikes flank, also at the same time, i would put 2 heavy inf to the allies flank and 2 heavy inf to surround the pike flank. Hey can you guys try this on me and foehammer?
Back to top Go down
RageParabola
RageParabola

PostSubject: Boru   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyFri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 am

Can you give my account the right to post topics in this board? It is currently set for only Admins.
Back to top Go down
-Crusaders-Shogun|PM

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyFri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 am

I THINK THAT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA, JUST AS A WORST CASE SCENARIO TEST. LETS GET A CLAN 2V2 PRACTICE AND ONE SIDE WILL SET UP W/ THE STRANGLE HOLD AND THE OTHER WILL CHOOSE THIER BEST COUNTER, AND WE WILL SEE HOW IT DOES. OF COURSE THE POWER IN ANY STRATAGY IS THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE, BUT IF WITH OUR BEST TORTURE TESTS IT STILL ENDS UP CLOSE THAN IT IS A STRATAGY WE SOULD KEEP SECRET AND USE WHEN ITS MOST VITAL Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyFri Jan 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Indeed, I do believe that this should be kept a secret unless it is imperative that we destroy the enemy.
(which it always is) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 am

The hammer and anvil stratagy. Not only is it very effective but it's also very fun to see in action.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 am

We need to revive our old style's of play.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Holyblade
Praetorian
Imperator_Holyblade

Male Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 am

I remember this tactic, you and youre old friend Shogun used it vs me and my Arcani friend, you guys crushed us with it. If I remember right we used it later on you guys and it worked well for us too.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Teutonic
Legionarie
Imperator_Teutonic

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am

I like it. Not many players go onto field with a actual battle plan, most kinda just read and react.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic   "Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic Empty

Back to top Go down

"Stranglehold" | Integrative Tactic
Page 1 of 1