Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rome's best chariot counter ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

Rome's best chariot counter ? Empty
PostSubject: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:03 pm

I love useing roman army's but from what I have seen they struggle with chariots and on a smaller scale cataphracts. The praetorian cavalry get shredded when they face off against them and only have a chance if there are lots of infantry around. We know the testudo helps but is much too slow and becomes easy targets for other units. The missle option works but way too slowly when they have to chew through all those hit points and you have others archers shooting at you. I know they are beatable in the wrong hands, but a good player can devastate roman armies with ease useing chariot tactics.

I have defeated chariot armies many times as have most of you but still I would like to know what you think is the best roman anti-chariot army.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 am

...excellent topic, consul. i am eager to hear everyone's opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

Male Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:20 am

best? hmm. hard to say, theirs really only one weakness to chariots. Getting them to stop, which is why cata can stop chariots if you bring enough of them. the best way to counter them would be to get them into woods, keep an infantry nearby with your cav, triarii or auzilia would work well. don't use expensive cav for this too, just roman cavalry would do, save your preats for end game. bring a healthy amount of archers, (i don't know if romans get slingers, if they do a pair of them would work wonders) and alot of infantry and play it like your normal romans.

The only true counter to a chariot build is a slinger build, like what celtic will use with britons.

Just remember that chariots are practically useless against infantry after the initial charge, they just get bogged down and slaughtered. A good player will keep then near your army but never commit them untill they absulutely need it.

Im assuming your against britons or egypt, britons are easier for romans to kill but egypt will give them a hard time unless you can properly rush them.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Celtic
Senate
Imperator_Celtic

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2006-12-31

PostSubject: try making it 20-25k rome will beat the chariots easy   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 pm

as brits i feel like they can kindda be stopped by factions with good pikes and cav(selucid).At high money i dont think chariots are really effective against any of the factions that have good archers and pikes.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Pike's without a doubt are the #1 chariot stoppers. Usualy on low money games if someone picks egypt I get macedonians or pontus. Selucids can be good especialy if you can micro manage youre scythed chariots backed up by catas.

The question remains...what about the romans.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

Male Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 7:12 pm

go all infantry?

their chariots will get stopped by your infantry, their archers or slingers won't kill a cohort army, and thier infantry is far inferior to yours, kind've sad but it's the best option unless you have woods you can use to fight a typical roman army with in.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Celtic
Senate
Imperator_Celtic

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2006-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

ahh i thought u meant rome as the game not the faction,i have used rome online less then 10 times id be a bad person to anser that ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rome's best chariot counter ?   Rome's best chariot counter ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rome's best chariot counter ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Imperators :: Rome Total War 2 :: RTW War Room-
Jump to: