Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some next patch info

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Some next patch info Empty
PostSubject: Some next patch info   Some next patch info EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Jack Lusted
Quote :
Right so as I said in the Daily Update on Friday I am going to elaborate more on the next patch balance changes in the kind of detail I’m sure many of you will love. I'm going to go through in section (artillery, units, morale, and fatigue) and for each I'll post the changes and then elaborate on why they have been done.

I would also like to highlight the fact that there will be more changes, feel free to comment on any change, none of this is really set in stone apart from some of the unit balancing changes.

Artillery Changes

- Calibration area for cannons and howitzers reduced. Accuracy of non-round shot shot types reduced to compensate.
- Muzzle velocity of round shot for cannons increased to make them fire lower and bounce more, accuracy also increased.
- Lethality of shrapnel pieces reduced to match canister shot, range also reduced to 350.
- Load time for special shot types for howitzers increased slightly, and range reduced to 350.
- Calibration area for mortars increased, accuracy of round shot increased to compensate. Reload time increased slightly.
- Accuracy of 18 lbr horse guard artillery restored to 65.
- Hit points of gun trains increased to 50, all guns and caissons to 25.

There changes result in a much better overall balance to artillery and projectiles, and makes round shot a more viable shot type. I've tried to give different shot types a more distinct role, and encourage use of more shot types instead of just focusing on one or two that are clearly better. The hit point increases massively increase artillery gun and carriage survivability, but even more may be needed. Still want to take a look at carcass and quick lime.

Units

- Melee defence has generally decreased across the board, and charge bonus gone up.
- Stat tweaks made to differentiate more between different unit types, so light cavalry is more distinct from standard etc.
- Spot distance of light infantry, light cavalry, skirmishers, irregulars and missile cavalry increased from 75 to 100 for medium scrub, and from 100 to 150 for long grass to enable them to scout better on the battlefield.
- Redone costing with new formula with resultant better balanced costs.
- Movement speed for units dropped by 10%.
- Slight decrease in unit morale across the board (mostly just -1).
- Light infantry range increased to 90.
- Grenzer weapon reload time increased, and grenzer ammo dropped.
- Ammo for line infantry increased to 15, light infantry to 20.
- Melee bonus for having bayonets increased, base melee attack of units who can have bayonets reduced to compensate.
- Tweaks to rules system to make frontal cavalry charges against ready infantry a bit more dangerous for the cavalry.

The unit stat tweaks are too numerous to list out, but the general aim has been to try and differentiate more between certain unit types or units that lacked differences, and to improve the overall balance. Changes such as the spot distance changes have also been done to add to the differences between some unit types. The changes to melee defence and charge should result in less endlessly prolonged melees and some more decisive charges.

The light infantry range changes have been made as I feel the current 10 metre difference between them and line is too small and requires a bit too much micro.

The costing changes are big in terms of how they are worked out. Before the formula was like this:

Cost of unit = (missile cost per man * size of unit) + (melee cost per man * size of unit) + (battle cost of some unit abilities) + (campaign cost of some unit abilities if campaign cost OR cost of techs for unit in early if early MP cost OR cost of techs for unit in late if late MP cost).

Whilst looking like a good formula for working out a units costs, the costs that came out of it and some of the costs you have seen are obviously not very well balanced. The costing formula has now moved to working out all costs on a per man basis and then multiplying and adding them all together. From the costs the new formula has been producing I do have to say I am much happier with it, and when I have more time I'll post some examples of new unit stats/costs compared to old.

Morale

- Charge morale bonus reduced from 10 to 4.
- Recent casualties, extended casualties and total casualties morale penalties increased slightly for higher percentages.
- Rear and flank exposed morale penalties increased.

Not many changes, but combined with the slight decrease to unit morale I think it is working out nicely. But this is one area I want to put a lot of time into. Currently in 1.2 units stay too long in melee at times, are pretty much impossible to break on the charge and flank effects probably aren't pronounced enough. But I do not want to push things too far the other way so keeping an eye on these changes.

Fatigue

- Fatigue penalty for melee reduced from 18 per tick to 12.
- Running fatigue penalty for heavy and light cavalry reduced from -3/-2 to -2/-1.

Not many changes here, but just designed to make cavalry more useful once it has been in one engagement, currently units who engage in melee get exhausted far too quickly. I want to look at fatigue more for the next patch, but undecided on a course of action yet.

----

Think that's all for now, feel free to ask any questions you have, and to make and feedback you want.
Games Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Back to top Go down

Some next patch info
Page 1 of 1