Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unlock Ultra graphics settings

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Unlock Ultra graphics settings Empty
PostSubject: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 4:14 am

From what I've been reading alot of people with 256MB video cards dont have the option of playing Empires with the highest(Ultra) settings even though their computers maybe able to handle it. Heres an easy workaround.
All you have to do is change one line in your Empire: Total War preferences file.

For XP its here: C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts.

For Vista its here: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Open up the preferences file and find the line:
gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory , Override available video memory (bytes) #

Change the value "0" to one that matches your video card:

So for 256 enter 264241152
Or for 512 enter 536870912

Now save (by going to file and click save) and your done. Start up empires and you should be able to choose Ultra. Go here for help on choosing what settings to use: https://imperator.rpg-board.net/etw-f19/tuning-your-graphics-settings-t1280.htm If you dont get Ultra settings now then your video card cant support shader 3 and its time for a new one. Wink

Feel free to add any questions or comments.

EDIT: Application Data maybe a hidden folder on Vista. If so you may have to do this to see your hidden folders:

Go to Start, then computer
Go to Tools
Choose "Folder Options"
Go to the View tab
Find the tab for "Hidden Files and Folders"
Choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click Apply and Ok

That will show all your hidden folders. Very Happy

Last edited by Imperator_Romulus on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Im haveing a bit of trouble getting to the part Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts.....after I get to application data it go's to microsoft and enternet explorer scratch
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Application Data is a hidden folder on Vista, so to unlock your hidden folders do this:

Go to Start, then computer
Go to Tools
Choose "Folder Options"
Go to the View tab
Find the tab for "Hidden Files and Folders"
Choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click Apply and Ok

That sould do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Any luck Boru?
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 3:40 pm

not yet, I will try when I get home tonight.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 4:46 pm

K, cool. You might see a huge differance.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 6:10 pm

it worked but my computer isnt ready for ultra... it was lag jumping all over the place so I went ahead and did automatic and it runs sweet. I will have to upgrade my pc to enjoy the killer graphics.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Oh well, it was worth a try. How does it run on high? I did some testing and had about the same frame rate with medium(with no boxes checked) as I did with ultra(with all but 1 box checked) settings. I big change was when I tried the lowest settings. I gained maybe ten fps, but definately not worth the visual hit. You may have great success raising one or two settings at a time and seeing how it runs. And leave off SSAO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unlock Ultra graphics settings   Unlock Ultra graphics settings Empty

Back to top Go down

Unlock Ultra graphics settings
Page 1 of 1